Today’s cardio workout will keep your body guessing, as it gradually increases the intensity through varying work and rest period times… until you’re left in a puddle on the floor!
For the first round, set your timer for 1 minute work and 25 seconds rest; 2nd Round is 45 seconds work 15 seconds rest; 3rd Round set your interval timer for 30 seconds work, 10 seconds rest.
- Side to Side Step Ups
- Kettlebell Vertical Swing Burpee
- Jump Rope
- Two-Handed Dumbbell swing
- Diagonal Touch Dynamic Squats
- In and Out Plank Abs or Bench Jumpovers
I will follow this morning cardio work out with this session in Jamie Eason’s program to target my Back and Bis later in the day:Superset: Wide-grip Lat Pulldown: 3 sets of 15 reps
Underhand Cable Pulldown: 3 sets of 15 reps
Working Set Active Rest: One Arm Dumbbell Row: 3 sets of 15 reps, per arm
Exercise Ball Pull-in: 3 sets of 15 reps
Working Set Active Rest: Seated Cable Row: 3 sets of 15 reps
Jackknife on Bench: 3 sets of 15 reps
Working Set Active Rest: Bent-Over Barbell Row: 3 sets of 15 reps
Mountain Climber: 3 sets of 20 reps
Superset: Standing Alternating Dumbbell Curl: 3 sets of 20 reps
Bench Dip: 3 sets of 12 reps
Superset: Preacher Curl: 3 sets of 12 reps
Narrow Push-Up: 3 sets of 12 reps
Working Set Active Rest: Triceps Pushdown - rope attachment: 3 sets of 12 reps
Mountain Climber: 3 sets of 20 repsWorking Set Active Rest: Cable rope overhead triceps extension: 3 sets of 12 reps Air Bike: 3 sets of 25 reps
Set your interval timer for 24 rounds of 45 seconds work and 15 seconds rest for a really good conditioning work out. You only need a moderate weights for this. I used 20lbs for thrusters and 30 lb dumbbells (for reverse lunges).
- Burpees with Pushup
- Kettlebell or dumbbell thrusters
- Kettlebell or dumbbell thrusters
- Two-Handed Kettlebell or dumbbell swing
- Contralateral Reverse Lunge (Right leg forward, kb/db on Left)
- Contralateral Reverse Lunge (Left leg forward, kb/db on right)
- Floor Jumpovers
- Mountain Climbers
Top It Off with Tabatas: Set your Interval Timer for 8 rounds of 20 seconds work 10 seconds rest:
- Squat jumps
- Jump lunge with dynamic squat combo
- Sumo Squat jumps
- Mountain Climbers
Legs are now wobbling and will go through more torture later at the gym.
Work out breakdown: 24 cycles of 45 seconds work, 15 seconds rest. You’ll notice at circuit six and seven, they’re different, only because I wanted to mix it up. Feel free to stick with one of the options the full circuit if you please.
1) Power Jacks aka Low Jumping Jacks (33, 33, 34)
2) Plank Climbers (alternating lead arm) ( 26, 26, 27)
3) Body weight Curtsy (right) ( 26, 28, 30)
4) Body weight Curtsy (left) ( 28, 29, 30 )
5) Burpee with “Power” push up to feet (you pretty much do a push up when you hit the ground ( 16, 15, 13)
6) Single Glute Raise from the heel (right) (26)
Standing Knee Tuck aka “Power Knee (in Insanity)” (right) (66)
Single Leg Kick (right) (46)
7) Single Glute Raise from heel (left) ( 25)
Standing Knee Tuck aka “Power Knee (in Insanity)” (left) (66)
Single Leg Kick (left) (52)
8) Diagonal Knee Tucks ( 40, 38, 40)
I then topped the work out off with a round of TABATAS: 8 cycles of 10 seconds rest and 20 seconds MAX effort:
- Dynamic Squats x 2 sets
- Mountain Climbers x 2 sets
- 2 lunge Jumps with Dynamic Squat x 2
- Mountain Climbers x 1 set
- Sumo Squat Jumps x 1 set
Fitspiration #3: Natalie Muntean
Dumb title, I know. Interval Cardio this morning only lasts 21 minutes (at least for me… feel free to increase the time/rounds). The only equipment you need is a your body and a moderate weight kettlebell or dumbbell. Set your interval app timer for 21 continuous cycles of 45 seconds work and 15 seconds recovery and 45 seconds effort. You’ll be doing 3 continuous rounds of the following 7 exercises:
My reps per exercise are in brackets!
- Side to Side Step Ups (56, 57, 55)
- Kettlebell Vertical Swing Burpee (20lbs) (9, 10.5, 10)
- Jump Rope (did buttkick variation) (65, 68, 69)
- Two-Handed Kettlebell Swing (20lb) ( 36, 36, 38)
- Burpee with tricep push up (13, 12, 13)
- Diagonal Touch Dynamic Squats (38, 39, 40)
- In and Out Abs (31, 31, 29)
I’m pretty much a sweat bath now.
This afternoon will be followed by Jamie Eason’s Live Fit Trainer Back and Bis. Obviously didn’t listen again about the No Cardio thing :/
3x12 with 1 minute rest between sets:
- Wide Grip Lat Pulldown
- One Arm Dumbbell Row
- Seated Cable Row
- Underhand Cable Pulldown
- Alternating Bicep Curls
- One Arm Preacher Curl
- Standing Bicep Cable Curl
So to some of you this may sound really gross, but I promise that once they pop out of the oven, you’d never be able to tell that these brownies are made out of PINTO BEANS… Yep, you heard me right. I’ll admit that they taste somewhat diety, but when you’re in the need for a sugar fix, this should definitely do the trick. Here’s the Recipe:
1 can of pinto beans, drained well
1 egg or 1/4 cup of egg beaters
100g (about 3 scoops) of chocolate flavored protein powder (I actually used 1/2 smores flavored protein by elite gourmet and half chocolate by mrm)
2 Tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa
4 Tablespoons equivalent of Splenda, Truvia, or Sweetener of Choice
1 teaspoon coffee granules
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 Tablespoon oil
1 pinch salt
I added 1/2 tsp of Cinnamon, along with 1/4 tsp of Cayenne to make them Mexican Spiced Brownies. Feel free to add nuts or chocolate chips if you’d like.
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9×9 baking dish.
2. I blended all the ingredients in my blender and then pour into baking dish.
3. Pop it in for about 10 minutes, until the top layer of the brownies is slightly wet. Baking times will vary depending on how much moisture is left in the brownies.
4. Let cool for at least 10 minutes, then cut into 12-16 squares.
- 15g of flour (I used soy, but you can use whole wheat, oat, regular… your choice)
- 15g whey protein (Your choice of flavor)
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- Sweetener (I used a packet of splenda)
- 1 tbsp pumpkin or apple sauce (I used apple)
- 2 tbsp almond milk (can use regular or just water… whatever liquid, really)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
Optional: Chocolate Chips, Cinnamon, etc.
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. (Alternatively, you can microwave these for about 30 seconds) Mix the dry ingredients and mix with wet ingredients. Pour into a sprayed ramekin. I used a leftover canned chicken can, cleaned (Ghetto, yet economical). Bake for 10-12 minutes.
Today’s interval work is pretty intense, because there’s technically no rest period. Your rest period is instead a number of bridging exercises. There’s alternate exercises for “beginners,” though I have a feeling even if you did do the “beginner” version, you’ll still be tasting the salt in your mouth.
Each round will rack in at about 2minutes and 40 seconds. Depending on how long it takes you to complete your bridging exercises, it should take you less than 30 minutes to complete. Remember that intensity is key!
Set your timer for 4 cycles of 20/20. Each couplet will be performed 4 times, in a row! AND THEN REPEATED (insert evil laugh here). The bridging exercise between each couplet has set reps, so you won’t need to reset your timer.
Couplet 1 – Start timer and complete 4 continuous rounds.
- Mountain Climbers
- Dynamic Push Ups or Push up followed by a plank jack or Regular push ups
- Bridging Exercise: Supermans- 20 reps
Couplet 2 – Start timer and complete 4 continuous rounds.
- Side to Side Step Ups or Regular Step ups
- In and Out Abs- you’re pretty much in a plank position, and you jump your legs into a tuck position then jump them back out into a plank
- Bridging Exercise: Stability Ball Crunches- 20 reps
Couplet 3 – Start timer and complete 4 continuous rounds.
- Plank Climbers or Plank Punches
- Diagonal Knee Tucks
- Bridging Exercise: Stability ball hyperextensions or dolphins- 20 Reps
Couplet 4 – Start timer and complete 4 continuous rounds.
- Burpees or Half Burpees
- Dynamic Squat Jumps or jumping jacks
REPEAT it all over again :)
Once again, I did not feel like going to the gym, so I did a home work out today.
I started with 12 rounds of sprints for about 50 yards, walking back as my “recovery.”
I then decided to give my body a bit of a break and do this full body bodyweight work out for three rounds:
- Squats (normal pace) x 30 reps
- Slow Push Ups (4 seconds down, 4 secs up)- 20 reps
- Stability Ball Dolphin/Reverse Hyperextension – 20 reps
- Slow Single-Leg Deadlifts (right then left)- 20 reps
- Tricep Push Ups (normal pace)- 20 reps
- Slow Sumo Squats-20 reps
Repeat 2 more times
And for my final topper, TABATAS:
Set your timer for 8 cycles of 10 seconds rest and 20 seconds MAX effort and perform the following sequence TWICE. My times are in brackets:
- Two-Handed Dumbbell Swing (30lb) (14, 14)
- Side to Side Step Ups (24, 25)
- Alternating Kettlebell Swing (30lb) (13, 13)
- Side to Side Step Ups (25, 26)
Short on time today, so I skipped the gym and did this killer work out. It was much harder than I expected. Enjoy!
My reps/weights are in brackets. Repeat each circuit twice then move on to the next one.
- DEEP Body Weight Squat 50 reps
- High Deficit Reverse Lunge (left)** 60 seconds (20lb dumbbells– 17, 18)
- High Deficit Reverse Lunge (right) 60 secs (20lb dumbbells– 17, 18)
**You pretty much stand on a high step and do a reverse lunge with your leg still on the step, then go back up
- Single-Leg Hip Thrust (left) 20 reps (20,20)
- Single-Leg Hip Thrust (right) 20 reps (20, 20)
- Bench Jumpovers- 60 secs (didn’t count)
- Single-Leg Chair Squat (left) x 12 reps
- Single-Leg Chair Squat (right) x 12 reps
- Side to Side Step Ups- 60 secs (63, 60)
- Single-leg Stability Ball Curl (left) 15 reps
- Single-leg Stability Ball Curl (right) 15 reps
- Stand-Kneel-Stand (left)-60 secs (20lbs overhead)
- Stand-Kneel-Stand (right)- 60 secs (20 lbs overhead)
WHEY PROTEIN OMELETTE/PANCAKE slathered in PB2 Greek Yogurt Protein Paste and Maple Syrup
- 1 scoop protein powder of choice(I used MRM 100% Natural)
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- Dash of Cinnamon
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 cup of almond milk
- Mix dry ingredients
- Mix wet ingredients
- Mix dry and wet ingredients
- Spray a skillet or pan with cooking spray and heat for about 3 mins each side.
Protein Yogurt Paste:
- 1-2 tbsp Greek Yogurt
- 1 tbsp PB2 or regular Peanut Butter
- 1/2-1 tbsp protein powder
- splash of water
- Sugar free maple syrup
Mix them all together and slather over omelette. Feel free to drizzle with more maple syrup.